Barblog

Image Map

Tuesday, 1 September 2015

Top Ten Tuesday (12): Top Ten Characters I Was NOT a Fan of

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted over at The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is the top ten book characters that just didn't click with me.

Hey, guys! I have been waiting for this topic to roll around for what feels like ten years. Honestly, I've had these feelings on my chest for too long and now I need to vent! I need to SCREAM TO THE HEAVENS about how much I dislike these characters. My hate is too real so I apologize, in advance, if any of your favourite characters appear on this list because it is never my intention to offend anyone.









10)Warner 


I like Warner but not in the way in which everyone else seems to like him. My interest in this character only piqued at the very end of Unravel Me and it had nothing to do with his "relationship" with Juliette or his "charming" (akin to a douchebag) personality traits in the first book. He can be somewhat likable at times but to be honest, I don't see what all the fuss is about.

To me, he is the poster child for the typical drop-dead-gorgeous-bad-boy-with-a-good-side love interests and when I read the very highly appraised chapter 62 in Unravel Me, I felt nothing. I don't like the romance between Warner and Juliette (or Juliette and Adam for that matter) because it really adds nothing much to the story. And in Warner's case, it makes me like him a lot less. 


9)The Darkling


I've only read the first novel in The Grisha Trilogy and I really enjoyed it! Initially, I loved the Darkling, then the story took an interesting turn and those feelings evaporated. I'm not sure what to make of him because *spoilers*.

It's just another Warner situation. I don't feel like I know the real person behind the pseudonym "The Darkling" so I have no attachments to him and he royally pisses me off.


8)Mare Barrow



If you happened to read my review of Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard, you'd know that I was not a fan of the protagonist, Mare. Her personality, one of many, was very vapid and interchanged a lot. I swear she had split personalities.

One minute she was this badass pickpocket who stole to provide for her family, next she needed help doing everything! She whined so much and relied on everyone for everything. At times, I just wanted to give her a good shake and yell: YOU HAVE ELECTRIC POWERS, GOD DAMNIT!


7)Adelina Amouteru


I'm iffy about including Adelina on this list because I strongly believe that had this book been written from a perspective other than hers, I would have loved her. Getting to know her a bit more through this novel though, I think she's petty. And whiny. And relentless.

She fails to recognize that she is the evil that thwarts her friends, she is the harbinger who brings death and grief. Adelina blames everyone for her problems and hurts people, people who are not bad people!

Her POV irritated me, made me want to gouge my eyeballs out. I appreciated the difference of perspective because it is rare that we get to see things from a villain's side but no. No.


6)America Singer


*eye roll* *face palm* *aggressive sigh*

America Singer is annoying. I've only read the first book in this series and I already hate her. She's ridiculously indecisive, complains a lot and makes me wish that I could reach into the book, grab her by the neck and just slap her so hard she gains sense. 


5)Lena Haloway



Lena is the original America Singer but 20 times worse. I believe that if she even made an attempt to stand on her own two feet, she'd crumble to pieces. She can't think on her own or make decisions for herself and if you stick her in a room with any member of the teenage male species, she'll fall in love in 10 seconds and be subject to their will. 

Her mind is so subservient, she's not strong-willed and her naivety actually causes a lot of her problems. It's so frustrating!


4)Katniss Everdeen & Tris Prior


Let's be real, these two characters are the same person and my reason for disliking them both is the same. Stereotypical, mediocre, flat characters with no real personality. Yes, we know they're strong. Yes, we know they're brave and will fight to save others but what else?

They were both so uninteresting, they were nothing but mind-numbing robots and did not in any way captivate me.  I think that this whole dystopian girl-breaks-out-and-becomes-a-hero thing is getting way old with super homogeneous characters and these two are the faces of that movement. 


3)Teresa Agnes


The girl who is somehow a main character even though her personality is as shallow as a kiddie pool.

We literally know nothing about this character yet she is knee-deep in all the conflicts of the story. I can't hate her because like I said, she is an enigma to me but every time her name is mentioned, I face palm so hard and I seriously consider throwing something. Ugh, why is she portrayed as important? She's so dull!

Not to mention the fact that she confused the hell out of me in The Scorch Trials. I am unable to comprehend the reason why this depth-less character was created. Give her a personality or kill her off. Honestly.


2)Elena Gilbert


Not much of The Vampire Diaries TV Show coincides with the books but one thing is constant: I still want to kill Elena. I loathe her character. She is weak and enjoys playing the victim when she is the perpetrator. On top of that, she's controlling and puppeteers all of her friends' lives.

She causes so much pain and hurt and then goes and tries to fix it which ultimately worsens the problem and usually results in the death of one of her friends. Elena is such a selfish character, she risks so little while everyone she loves sacrifices so much for her and she clearly isn't grateful as she's content to constantly put herself in danger.

The solution to everyone's problems would've been to terminate her in season one.


1)Vasilisa Dragomir


I cannot describe my hate for Lissa from The Vampire Academy series without erupting into a series of barely understandable babbles but I'll try. For the first 2 books, I was cool. We were cool. I didn't particularly enjoy reading about Lissa but I didn't totally hate it either. 

Fast-forward to the end of the 3rd book and she's leaning more on the hate side. Jump even further along to the 5th book and I just flat-out want to stab her with a stake. She is extremely condescending, controlling and conceited. She cares for no one as long as she gets her way, through whatever means necessary. 

I'm all for compulsion and bending the will of others when you're in mortal danger but trying to use that crap on friends is crossing the moral line. She crossed the moral line. I couldn't fathom for the life of me why Rose continued to be her friend because I would have dropped her like a hot potato.

Even worse, her anger-inducing tendencies transferred over to The Bloodlines series which pissed me off even more. Two of my favourite series tainted by her. SMH



 Which characters just didn't work for you? Comment down below and tell me! Until my next blog post, I love you guys...to infinity and beyond!







3 comments:

  1. I HATE Warner. He's gross. I disliked Juliette more. I wasn't in love with The Darkling either...Sturmhond/Nikolai stole my heart in those books. Tris...don't get me started. She pissed me off. I can see Lissa and Theresa bring hard to click with. Oh, but I love America Singer! Great list!

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had Tris on my list this week too.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/09/01/top-ten-tuesday-20/

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think :)