Barblog

Image Map

Sunday, 16 August 2015

Review: The Ruby Circle by Richelle Mead (Bloodlines #6)

bookreview Rating:image descriptionimage description
Title:The Ruby Circle
Author:Richelle Mead
Publisher:Razorbill
Publication Date:February 10th 2015
Source:bought
Format:Hardcover
Pages:348

Goodreads|Amazon

Sydney Sage is an Alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of humans and vampires. They protect vampire secrets - and human lives.

Their forbidden romance exposed, Sydney and Adrian find themselves facing the wrath of both the Alchemists and the Moroi in this electrifying conclusion to Richelle Mead’s bestselling Bloodlines series.

When the life of someone they both love is put on the line, Sydney risks everything to hunt down a deadly former nemesis. Meanwhile, she and Adrian becomes enmeshed in a puzzle that could hold the key to a shocking secret about spirit magic, a secret that could shake the entire Moroi world and alter their lives forever.

Don't miss their unforgettable final chapter...

LOVE WILL CONQUER ALL


MY THOUGHTS

I quite enjoyed this novel but it was not my favourite of the series, definitely an anticlimactic follow up to Silver Shadows which was, in my opinion, incredible.

The plot was extremely fast-paced and constantly moving along from the get-go so I flew threw this novel. I think I read it in one day only. There was a lot of action and lots of twists and turns that left my heart racing and my blood pumping. Also, there were so many startling revelations, stuff that left me saying "What in the world?" but...the things that needed to be revealed just weren't.

Upon finishing The Ruby Circle, I still had a few unanswered questions, questions that are forever going to haunt me. It bothers me to no end when the final books in series leave me wondering. I don't want to wonder, I need to know what needs to be known. For example, what happened to the precious law that started this series? Was it ever overruled? Is it still in place? UGHH, I NEED TO KNOW!

Furthermore, I thought the conflict in The Ruby Circle was minor and it felt that way throughout this entire book. Initially, Jill had to be hidden away in Bloodlines because insane Moroi rebels wanted to murder her to dethrone Lissa. Since that piece of information was revealed in the first book, we have yet to see an appearance from these supposedly dangerous and unstable rebels and for the first five books, I was totally okay with that.

I was okay with that because the characters had a multitude of other things happening. Lots of things were going on: magic and witches and vampire hunters. I just assumed that all of this was a build up to the underlying, real, inceptive conflict: Moroi are seeking out Jill and they want to kill her. This problem was not mentioned past Bloodlines and it certainly made no appearance in The Ruby Circle.

It was as if it had been forgotten and that, coupled with the law, left me feeling as if I had no closure. There was no closure. Things didn't end in a way that was satisfying.

Besides those issues, it was a good read. It had all the elements of the past five books that I loved. There was humour, mystery, action and lots of romance. If this had been any other number in the series than the final book, I believe I would have given it a higher rating because it was actually enjoyable. As a final book though, it didn't do it for me and that bums me out because this is the first  Richelle Mead book that I did not completely enjoy.


Final Sentence in the Novel

"Always," I said, letting her pull me back down to her. "Always."

Favourite Lines in the Novel

  • It figured. Her daughter-in-law transforming into an animal? No problem. Having to take care of a cat? Crisis.

  • Eddie remarked, "Real life is stranger than fiction."

Scorpio Richelle Mead is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of urban fantasy books for both adults and teens. Originally from Michigan, Richelle now lives in Seattle, Washington where she works on her three series full-time: Georgina Kincaid, Dark Swan, and Vampire Academy. A life-long reader, Richelle has always loved mythology and folklore. When she can actually tear herself away from books (either reading or writing them), she enjoys bad reality TV, traveling, trying interesting cocktails, and shopping for dresses. She's a self-professed coffee addict and has a passion for all things wacky and humorous.