Barblog

Image Map

Monday, 3 August 2015

Mini Review: Dork Diaries, Tales from a NOT-SO Fabulous Life by Rachel Renee Russell (Dork Diaries #1)

bookreview Rating:image descriptionimage descriptionimage descriptionimage description
Title:Tales from a NOT-SO Fabulous Life
Author:Rachel Renee Russell
Publisher:Aladdin
Publication Date:June 2nd 2009
Source:bought
Format:Hardcover
Pages:282

Goodreads|Amazon

Meet Nikki Maxwell! She's starting eighth grade at a new school—and her very first diary packed with hilarious stories and art in Book One of the #1 New York Times bestselling Dork Diaries series!

New school. New mean girl. New crush. New diary so I can spill about all of it…

I put a lot of really personal stuff in this diary along with my sketches and doodles.

But, mostly it’s about how TRAUMATIC it was transferring to my new private middle school, Westchester Country Day.

And, how a lot of the CCP (Cool, Cute & Popular) kids were really SNOBBY and made my life TOTALLY miserable. People like, oh, I don’t know, maybe…

MACKENZIE HOLLISTER!!

And, it just so happened that I got stuck with a locker right next to hers. I could NOT believe I had such CRAPPY luck. I knew right then and there it was going to be a VERY, VERY long school year :-( !


MY THOUGHTS

I have read this book a total of two times and now, I'm finally going to review it.

N.B This might be less of a "review" and more of a "brief collection of my thoughts".

It was basically Diary of a Wimpy Kid for girls. Was it necessary? Probably not. I'm pretty sure girls can get just as much enjoyment from the original DOAWK books. I know I did. Did I enjoy it? Hell yeah, I enjoyed it.


  • It was a very light, funny, cute read which I read in about two hours. A total throwback to my childhood and my DOAWK obsessive days. I loved it, it was fun and made me wish that my biggest problems right now were art competitions and arch rivals. *sigh* Those were the days.
  • The illustrations were beautiful as well. They were not sloppily done but were also not so professional as to seem inauthentic. Remember, these are the personal drawings of a middle school girl. 
  • Also, I was a major fan of the 'diary" format of the writing, as I am with any book that adapts this style. I don't know what it is about it that intrigues me so much. Maybe because it's more personal than regular first person POV and you get a more in depth look into the protagonist's mind? 
If you're in the mood for Middle Grade and you're looking for something quick and easy to read, then I'd definitely suggest this book. It's not the fanciest or the most well‐written or the most structured but I'd be lying if I said I looked for any of those things when diving into the MG genre.




Final Sentence in the Novel

I'm such a dork!!!