Barblog

Image Map

Sunday, 26 July 2015

Review: The Scorch Trials by James Dashner (The Maze Runner #2)

bookreview Rating:image descriptionimage description
Title:The Scorch Trials
Author:James Dashner
Publisher:Delacorte Press
Publication Date:September 13th 2011
Source:bought
Format:Paperback
Pages:360

Goodreads|Amazon

Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end.

Thomas was sure that escape from the Maze would mean freedom for him and the Gladers. But WICKED isn’t done yet. Phase Two has just begun. The Scorch.

There are no rules. There is no help. You either make it or you die.

The Gladers have two weeks to cross through the Scorch—the most burned-out section of the world. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them.

Friendships will be tested. Loyalties will be broken. All bets are off.

There are others now. Their survival depends on the Gladers’ destruction—and they’re determined to survive.


MY THOUGHTS

Two words to summarize how I felt about this book : HMMM AND BLEH!

This novel picks up right where The Maze Runner left off and the Gladers are immediately made aware of the fact that they may have escaped from the maze but their trials are far from over.

I wanted to love this novel, I wanted to love it so badly. I had hoped that despite all the less-than-stellar reviews this sequel receives, that I would find something good to say about it but all I found was confusion, disdain and disappointment. How in bloody hell did this change from a trilogy with such potential to...THIS?!

The first thing that struck me as strange was Thomas and Teresa's "relationship". They moved from one minute being two memory-wiped people with no connection other than their forgotten past and a telepathic link to individuals who needed each other's presence for survival. It was off-putting, it was annoying and I did not like it. I felt that it was not necessary for the advancement of the story and honestly, hearing Thomas whine 24/7 about Teresa while they were on a race to stay alive made me want to castrate him.

MazeRunner

Aside from that, I was not a fan of Teresa on the whole. Add that to the list of pointless things this story does not need. She's central for some reason and I cannot fathom why. She's a brick with no personality, we barely know anything about her and yet, she is regarded as important. Even worse, there was this weird spin on her in this book. I can't explain too much without giving away spoilers but the odd Teresa angle in this novel served no purpose other than confusing the crap out of me.

MazeRunner

Lots of things that should've been explained just weren't. Why is Wicked good? The reason for these deadly experiments. Seriously, I'm positive if they give these children a valid reason for wanting to kill them all the time, they might cooperate. Also, the purpose of the new characters introduced. A crap ton of characters graced the pages of The Scorch Trials and what do we know about them? Nothing. We barely know anything even about the Gladers we had in the first book, besides the obvious ones like Thomas, Minho and Newt.

There were a bunch of gory action scenes, lots of death, scary creatures and fights and normally, I would enjoy that but it was so random and difficult to focus on. Half the time I couldn't figure out what the hell was happening and I wanted to drop this book and run...far far away.

MazeRunner

Did I enjoy this novel as much as I wanted to? Not even close. Am I still going to read its sequel? Probably. Because I have this weird need to finish things so even if a book lets me down, there's a 85% chance I will continue on with the series. While this novel fell short for me in a lot of areas, it took me a sort while to read and that might be the only reason why I'm giving it 2 cupcakes instead of one.






Final Sentence in the Novel

That's all for now.


Favourite Lines in the Novel

  • Thomas grunted a yes, and Newt said, "Pretty sure we just arrived in bloody hell. Always thought you'd end up here, Minho, but not me."





James is the author of THE MAZE RUNNER trilogy and THE 13TH REALITY series. He also published a series (beginning with A DOOR IN THE WOODS) with a small publisher several years ago. He lives and writes in the Rocky Mountains.