Barblog

Image Map

Wednesday, 15 July 2015

Review: Evolution by Kate Wrath (E #2)

bookreview Rating:image descriptionimage descriptionimage descriptionimage description
Title:Evolution
Author:Kate Wrath
Publisher:Self-published
Publication Date:November 12th 2014
Source:The Author
Format:egalley

Goodreads|Amazon

Outpost Three is still standing… barely. But the deadliest threat it has ever faced is on its way-- a violent force that will annihilate every man, woman, and child.

With the Sentries under his control and Grey’s army defeated, Matt is more powerful than ever. Eden is little more than his prisoner, but that line is blurring as her affection for him grows. Now, as the Outpost faces total destruction, Matt must sacrifice the possibility of attaining Eden’s love in the vague hope that her past might hold the key to saving them all.

Eden’s journey will begin to unravel the mysteries of her previous life, reveal dangerous new questions, and change not only the future of Outpost Three, but shape the course of history.


MY THOUGHTS

I was sent an egalley of this novel by the author in exchange for an honest review. All opinions stated are mine and I was not compensated for this review. 

It was so difficult for me to write this review, mainly because I enjoyed this sequel a whole lot and every sentence I attempted to string together either contained the words OMG or ASDFGHJKL. 

This book started off on a very slow and somewhat disappointing note for me. I would go days on end without picking it up and I believe that my initial disinterest had more to do with how busy I was and the length of time that I spent away from this world rather than the content of the actual story because as soon as my exams were over, I was just sucked back into this very complex society of violence, erasures and killer robots and I LOVED EVERY SECOND OF IT!

Eden, as a protagonist, was wonderful and I was very happy to see a lot of development of her character. She was a strong, level-headed lead, able to make tough decisions, encourage others and also, kick some robot butt when necessary but she wasn't just strong. I felt that in Evolution she became a rounder character and the various layers that existed in her personality shone through. Though she could wield a knife better than any man, she could also cry and show emotion.

The developing love triangle in the Evolution aided in unearthing a bout of resentful feelings from me towards one of the main characters, Jonas. I adored Jonas in the first novel and I absolutely hated him in this one. He was annoying, sullen, pessimistic, whiny and my tolerance level for him was nonexistent. He interchanged between loathing Eden and being jealous that she was laughing with Matt (the sexy beast) and Apollon (who is the most adorable human ever). Maybe I am biased for disliking this character because of my love for Matt, maybe I see him as a threat (not really, Matt is hot) but either way, I wanted to strangle him because Matt and Eden forever...Meden! I was also sad that Matt didn't have as much of an impact in this novel as in the first and he only made a tiny appearance in the beginning.

The plot of this novel was very different from the first. Whereas in E the story was confined to the tiny area of the Outpost, in Evolution there were no such boundaries. The characters were out in the wild where danger lurked around every corner. They were traipsing blindly through mile upon mile of frost in search of something that might only exist in Eden's head, all in the hope of saving the outpost from impending doom. THERE. WAS. SO. MUCH. VIOLENCE. Wolves and bears and foxes trying to eat people, severed arms and insane Amazon-like women domesticating men. Quiet moments were a thing of the imagination, the novel was always flowing and I particularly enjoyed the fact that the readers kept learning more and more about the old world versus the new world we were exposed to in E and Eden and Jonas' past. Insane discoveries were made and...OMG THAT ENDING!

An intense, satisfying novel filled with love, violence and heart-stopping self-discovery, Evolution is a sequel that did not disappoint.






Final Sentence in the Novel

And if I did it for him, I can do it for Oscar.

Favourite Lines in the Novel

  • Four months of life is a thousand years. My soul is stained with death and despair.
  • We are able to see truth in anything, and therefore we can find truth in nothing.
  • A little frown passes over his face, followed by the immeasurable patience that he seems to reserve for me, since I test it so often.
  • "The Outpost is nothing, if you're not safe." - Matt
  • The fear of dying is so much easier when you can laugh about it.



Kate Wrath lives in the Southwestern US. Much like other authors, she has both a [family] and a [pet].

[family = three crazy-but-lovable, exceedingly adorable people with longer eyelashes and better sense of humor than Kate]

[pet = lovable-but-crazy giant German Shepherd who seems to be able to read, but pretends not to understand when something is required of him]

Kate is the author of the E series: E (Book #1), Evolution (Book #2), Eden (Book #3, June 13, 2015), and Jason and Lily (prequel, July 23, 2015). She has also written two fantasy novels that are soon to be released.

Kate believes in literature as an art form, world peace, and animal rights, but aspires to write total trash that is full of senseless violence, with characters who eat house pets.