Barblog

Image Map

Thursday, 16 July 2015

Review: Eden by Kate Wrath (E #3)

bookreview Rating:image descriptionimage descriptionimage descriptionimage description
Title:Eden
Author:Kate Wrath
Publisher:Self-published
Publication Date:June 13th 2015
Source:The Author
Format:egalley

Goodreads|Amazon

Both friends and enemies are keen to get their hands on the information inside Eden’s head—information that could take down the Sentries and change the world. But there are costs that no one realized, and Eden’s not so sure she’s willing to pay them. Refusing to do so could create dangerous problems within the tribe she’s only just come back to.

Eden has her own agenda for learning Lily’s secrets. With hope refusing to die, she’s spurred forward by memories of Oscar and thoughts of finding him again. But Lily’s hold on her is greater than she knows, compelling her to chase after strange clues and confusing visions. With love and longing weighing on her, Eden must determine the reality of her fractured identity in order to decide which path to take. The choices she makes could tear her away from Jonas and Apollon, from everything she’s ever known.

Eden’s future will not be determined solely by choices. Fate has her own cards to play, and they just might take the game.


MY THOUGHTS

I was sent an egalley of this novel by the author in exchange for an honest review. All opinions stated are mine and I was not compensated for this review. 

Eden left my emotions tied up in a massive knot. There were instances when I quite enjoyed it, instances when I wanted to shake some of the characters and mostly, I felt floored by the mixed feelings that threatened to overpower me while reading this.



The majority of the novel took place in Miami, or well, a new world version of it where we, the readers, finally got answers about Eden and Jonas' past and I was not expecting any of that! The curtains fell down and it was weird but also made loads of sense. I loved knowing, I loved the build-up to this knowledge and of course, I loved the information that was constantly thrown my way while reading this. It was very unorthodox, exciting and never failed to put this expression on my face:


I was also a massive fan of the writing style and descriptions in the novel, not the just the physical ones but also the emotional ones. They were very in-depth and helped to add a new dimension to the story, one that was very hands-on and allowed us to glimpse the world very vividly from Eden's POV (...both of them? hehe).

Speaking of Eden, I think this novel helped to solidify the fact that she is one of my favourite female protagonists ever. I know I've said this a 1000 times but emphasis is a tool to be utilised when discussing things that one adores. I just think she works so well under pressure; she barely bats an eyelash at the role she plays in Miami, she's stubborn to let anyone tamper with her mind even though she just might need it and she's very resilient in her feelings for Jonas, though I don't get why. He still doesn't sit very well with me.

A couple of things annoyed me about this book:
1) Eden's reluctance to have brain surgery. I mean GOSH-DARNIT, WOMAN. THERE'S A 9/10 CHANCE THIS WILL BE A FUTURE PROBLEM.

2)Apollon's fluctuating loyalty between Eden and Jonas. I love Apollon, he's my favourite character besides Matt but come on, man! You've known her for a year! Jonas has been your bro since the beginning. It's something I can get over but it was completely strange to me!

3)THE ENDING! This actually didn't annoy me in a I-HATE-THIS way, more in a I-WANT-THE-NEXT-BOOK-RIGHT-NOW kind of way. It was semi-predictable but also totally unexpected. Does that make sense?

I enjoyed this book, I view it as an exploration of Eden's mind and the past that has only been hinted at. I am a super fan of this series, the world is one that is very complex and unique from anything that I've read before and I CANNOT wait to pick up the prequel, Jason and Lily!

Recommended for anyone who loves thrilling dystopians, overflowing with action and quirky, lovable characters. Read this series, read it, read it now!





Final Sentence in the Novel

I flash him a grin over my shoulder.. "It's good to be home."

Favourite Lines in the Novel


My stupid Kindle app updated and deleted all my bookmarks so I can't find my favourite lines :(






Kate Wrath lives in the Southwestern US. Much like other authors, she has both a [family] and a [pet].

[family = three crazy-but-lovable, exceedingly adorable people with longer eyelashes and better sense of humor than Kate]

[pet = lovable-but-crazy giant German Shepherd who seems to be able to read, but pretends not to understand when something is required of him]

Kate is the author of the E series: E (Book #1), Evolution (Book #2), Eden (Book #3, June 13, 2015), and Jason and Lily (prequel, July 23, 2015). She has also written two fantasy novels that are soon to be released.

Kate believes in literature as an art form, world peace, and animal rights, but aspires to write total trash that is full of senseless violence, with characters who eat house pets.