Barblog

Image Map

Monday, 2 March 2015

Review: Prodigy by Marie Lu (Legend #2)

bookreview Rating:image descriptionimage descriptionimage descriptionimage descriptionimage description
Title:Prodigy
Author:Marie Lu
Publisher:Speak
Publication Date:January 31st 2012
Source:Bought
Format:Paperback
Pages:371

Goodreads|Amazon|Barnes and Noble|Indigo

Injured and on the run, it has been seven days since June and Day barely escaped Los Angeles and the Republic with their lives. Day is believed dead having lost his own brother to an execution squad who thought they were assassinating him. June is now the Republic's most wanted traitor. Desperate for help, they turn to the Patriots - a vigilante rebel group sworn to bring down the Republic. But can they trust them or have they unwittingly become pawns in the most terrifying of political games?

MY THOUGHTS

Prodigy picks up right where Legend left off, right after June saves Day from the hands of Commander Jameson and the Republic. They are on the run for their lives, well, walk because Day's leg is injured and are blindly seeking the rebellion group known as the Patriots. Upon finding them, they strike a deal with its dubious leader, Razor: he'll help them find Day's brother, Eden and fix Day's leg IF they take part in a plot to kill the new Elector Primo, Anden. Using Anden's affection for June to their advantage, they weave a masterful plan to assassinate the new leader but...is he as evil and vindictive as Razor wants them to believe?

Now, you all know how I felt about Legend! It was my everything, it IS my everything, I loved it SO much and I daresay that Prodigy was BETTER! Yes, it was, I didn't believe that was remotely possible but it happened. I was actually anticipating this novel to have a severe case of Sequel Syndrome but BOY was I wrong. The story itself was kickass and had so much action and adventure! I especially enjoyed the dual point of views that fluctuated between Day and June's narration, more so since they were apart for the majority of this novel. And I really really really love the characters.

Mix a fast-paced plot with loads of action and badassery and you get two things : 1) an absolutely phenomenal novel and 2)an extraordinarily happy reader. Prodigy was everything that I could have hoped for. A lot of the writing in Legend focused on character and world development while in this novel, those things were kind of minimal considering that we knew most things already so from the get-go, it was EPIC! There were so many betrayals and gut-wrenching moments that I felt like I was in the novel with these characters, tagging along through their experiences and the majority of the time, I did this:


Dual narration is not something that I ever really have a positive opinion on. I usually hate it but it adds so much to the novels in this trilogy, it's difficult to NOT like it. In the first novel, it reinforced the deception and treachery that existed between Day and June when she was hunting him and in Prodigy, it allowed us, the readers, to see the contrasting settings that they were both in when they were apart, June being with Anden and Day living with the Patriots. It also intrigues me because it enables us to catch a glimpse of how similar and different Day and June are but also why they work so well with each other. There are also those really really cute moments where they both react to situations happening to them and they're wondering "What is June thinking?" or "What is Day thinking?" and it's like, I know...


The character development in this novel is out of this world. I feel for them, I actually care a lot about their lives, almost as if they were real people. Day is my favourite character, I love him maybe a fraction of a centimeter more than June and I literally cried, that's all I can say without spoiling things, I literally cried. He is young but owing to the things that he's been exposed to, he's not innocent and has a very real view of the world. Despite everything that he's been through, he somehow manages to be kind and generous and funny and charismatic and I think that's part of the reason why he's such an easy character to love. He works with June and I cannot fathom for the life of me how he is able to look past her background and all the despicable things that she did to him and his family but...he does and it makes for quite the cute, if a bit rushed, romance.

The romance, I feel like it would have been endearing if it hadn't been introduced so early. I think it should have been saved for the final book where Day and June would have been more familiar with each other. I mean, they're on the run for their lives and could be killed at a moment's notice, I just don't think that there was any room for romantic relations in this novel. Camaraderie is a thing that still exists, people. Despite the botched romance, my love stands. It wasn't a major hindrance in the novel as it was a tiny aspect of it and every other fantastic thing blurred out this flaw. It's kind of hard to care about the semi-romance when you're so busy studying the assassination plot and the ridiculously sad and nail-biting conclusion!

Let's just reiterate how awesome I thought Prodigy was. Action that made your heart palpitate and sweat drip from your pores. Check. Engaging and effective dual point of views that made the novel 10000 times more astounding. Check. Evil, cynical characters and also, lovable, winsome characters that made me feel EVERYTHING. Check. All the above features combine to create a powerful sequel that has you craving the final book and yes, I gave it five cupcakes because it was a delicious read.




Final Sentence in the Novel
He is my light.

Favourite Lines from the Book
"He is beauty, inside and out.He is the silver lining in a world of darkness.He is my light."

“You know, sometimes I wonder what things would be like if I just ... met you one day. Like normal people do. If I just walked by you on some street one sunny morning and thought you were cute, stopped, shook your hand, and said, "Hi, I'm Daniel.” - Day

"“Idiotic reply, June. Why don't you punch him in the face while you're at it. I turn even more flustered when I remember that I have actually pistol-whipped him in the face before. Romantic”

“His eyes are two warnings, full of everything he wishes he could say out loud”






2 comments:

  1. I can't believe I *still* haven't read this book! Definitely on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You NEED to read it! It gave me all the feels!

      Delete

I'd love to know what you think :)