Barblog

Image Map

Wednesday, 28 January 2015

DNF Review: Hagridden by Samuel Snoek-Brown


bookreview Rating:image descriptionimage description
Title:Hagridden
Author:Samuel Snoek-Brown
Publisher:Columbus Press
Publication Date:August 11th, 2014
Source:Publisher
Format:Paperback
Pages:234

Goodreads|Amazon|Barnes and Noble|Indigo


As the Civil War winds violently down, fears of the South’s uncertain future fuse with its unraveling traditions. Against the backdrop of this post-apocalyptic landscape, so littered with corpses and mythology and desperation, two women, stranded and alone in the Louisiana bayou, fight to survive.

Review/ Reseña
I received this novel in exchange for an honest review from the publisher. I didn't quite enjoy this book, I just don't think it agreed with me. It was very condensed with history (and yes, I know that it's a historical fiction novel) and it made for a rather slow pace. The characters were not really memorable to be quite honest, nothing about them grabbed me and the actual story didn't interest me as much as I thought it would. I got about 220 pages into this novel which is near completion and I felt like I was struggling to finish it which is horrible because I'm not at school, I shouldn't fight to finish books so...I didn't.

I went into this novel knowing absolutely nothing about the Civil War and I think I almost finished it with a good knowledge of it. I don't know but I felt like there was too much information and it kind of took away from the story. It slowed down the pace by a lot and it made the book boring and not fun to read.

I was quite indifferent to the characters in this novel. The only one I partially enjoyed reading about was Buford and even then, not that much. I did not get attached to them because I didn't learn a lot about them, especially "the girl" whose name I didn't even know while reading this. They were all bland and faded into the background for me.

While I did really enjoy the premise of the novel and the idea of the struggle that the two women faced, I was confused by the direction that the novel was taking coming down to the end. There were psychopaths skinning wolves, women jumping down wells and my mind could not fathom the relevance of all that was happening. I thought, though, that the novel was true to the happenings of the Civil War. It felt real and the writing was quite descriptive and very free-flowing.

I decided to give this novel two cupcakes because I mostly did not fancy it but there were some elements that I like. For example, the accuracy of the historical event and the sneaky little sexual innuendos here and there. It was not my favourite but if you enjoy historical fiction novels, I think that you should definitely give it a go, you might actually find yourself liking it.

Recibí esta novela a cambio de una reseña sincera del editor. No me gustó este libro, no pienso que estaba acuerdo conmigo. Estaba muy condensado con la historia (y sí, yo sé que es una novela de ficción histórica) y el ritmo estaba lento. Los caracteres no eran memorables sinceramente, nada sobre ellos era interesante y la historia no me interesó tanto como yo pensaba que lo haría. Leí unas doscientos páginas pero me sentí como si estaba luchando para terminarlo que es horrible porque no estoy a la escuela, no tengo que luchar para terminar los libro...así que no hice.

Comencé esta novela sin ningún conocimiento de la Guerra Civil y creo que sé un poco más sobre él. No sé pero me siento como si había demasiado información y robó de la historia. En efecto, a causa de esta, el ritmo era lento y la novela era aburrida y no divertida para leer.

Era indiferente a los caracteres en esta novela. Solamente, disfruté leer sobre Buford y entonces, no mucho. Yo no se apegan a ellos porque no aprendí mucho sobre ellos, especialmente "la chica" cuyo nombre no sé mientras estaba leyendo. Todos eran sosos.

Sin embargo disfruté la premisa de la novela y la idea de la lucha de las mujeres, estaba confundida por la dirección que la historia estaba tomando hasta el final. Había los psicópatas que llevan cabezas de lobo, las mujeres que saltan en pozos y mi mente no puede entender la relevancia de la nada. Pienso que, sin embargo, la novela era correcta en los eventos de la Guerra Civil. Se sentía auténtica y la escritura era muy descriptivo.

Decidi darle dos pastelitos porque no me gustó la mayoría de ella pero había unos elementos que me gustó. Por ejemplo, la exactitud del evento histórico y las insinuaciones sexuales. No era mi favorita, pero si te gusta las novelas de ficción histórica, pienso que debes leerlo.