Barblog

Image Map

Tuesday, 21 October 2014

Book Tour Review: The Summer of Shambles by Ebony McKenna

bookreview Rating:image descriptionimage descriptionimage description
Title:The Summer of Shambles
Author:Ebony McKenna
Publisher:Egmont, Hardie Grant, Bookbaby
Publication Date:2013 (originally published April 5th 2010)
Format:e-book
Pages:304

Goodreads-Amazon

15-year-old Ondine is struggling to fit in at Psychic Summercamp and doubts she possesses any of her family's magical abilities. She resolves to leave, determined to follow her own path and be a normal teenager. Whatever normal is in a place like Brugel.

On the way home Ondine is shocked when her pet ferret Shambles starts talking - in a cheeky Scottish accent no less! He is in fact a young man trapped in a witch's curse. When he briefly transforms into his human self, Ondine is smitten. If only she can break the spell for good, Shambles can be handsomely human on a full-time basis.

During the summer, these two misfits uncover a plot to assassinate a member of the royal family and discover a secret treasure that has remained hidden for decades. This attracts the attention of the arrogant Lord Vincent, and Ondine can't help being drawn in by his bad-boy charm.

With so many demands on Ondine's attentions - and affections - normal has never seemed so far away.


Review
I had a really hard time reviewing this book and also reading it because while it was enjoyable and really fast-paced, it just was not my style but that take away from the overall quality of the read. I think that the setting and description was done really well, especially considering the fact that the novel took place in a made up country. The plot was unique, if a little predictable. I found the characters to be rather dull and uninteresting.

The novel was set in the fictional land of Brugel, a European country that was a result of the authors a imagination. Though it was made up, I can say that it felt very real, the country had their own flag (which was shown in the book) and their own slang and traditions. Also, it was really cute that a glossary summarizing each of the unknown terms in the book was provided at the end of every chapter. It made it easier to read and added a lot of intrigue.

The plot of the book was interesting but at times, it felt pretty predictable and draggy. I can't even tell you how much it annoys me when a book drags endlessly. It also didn't help that the writing style was a bit childish and concise, leaving little room for character development which is on my hust-have list of things that make or break a story.

Again, further emphasis is placed on the characters who I didn't really feel any sort of connection with. It was nice reading about their life but after I closed the book, I didn't feel like there was anything worth holding onto. They weren't the characters that I would avidly gush to other readers about, they were just there which bothered me. As interesting as their story was, they didn't captivate me in the way I was hoping they would.

Overall, the book was...good-ish. It was nice and quick to read but I won't gushing about it anytime soon. For the reasons listed above, I decided to give this one 3 cupcakes cause it was semi-sweet :)

P.S Ignore how my navbar is gone atm. It's under reconstruction. K?



Final Sentence of the Book

Now her great-aunt had taken over and Ondine didn't like it one bit.

Read if you enjoy...

Cute reads~Witches




Follow my blog with Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for being on the tour, Laquesha! It's always harder when you don't fully connect to the characters but it sounds like a fun book!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think :)