Barblog

Image Map

Friday, 12 September 2014

Review: Save Yourself by Kelly Braffet

bookreview Rating:image descriptionimage descriptionimage descriptionimage description
Title:Save Yourself
Author:Kelly Braffet
Publisher:Broadway Books
Publication Date:May 6th 2014 (first published January 1st 2013)
Source:Blogging For Books
Format:Paperback
Pages:336

Goodreads-Amazon

Patrick Cusimano’s father killed a boy while driving drunk. Now Patrick is working at a grubby convenience store, and he and his brother Mike are the town pariahs. Caro, Mike’s girlfriend, is running from her own painful past, with no idea what she’s running toward. Layla Elshere is a goth teenager who befriends Patrick for reasons he doesn’t understand and doesn’t trust. And Layla’s little sister Verna, tortured by her classmates, finds unlikely solace with Layla’s dark tribe of outcasts.

As their fates become entwined, everyone is set down a terrifying and twisted path—leading them all toward a collision where loyalties will be betrayed, fears exposed, and lives shattered.

Review
I received a physical copy of this book book from Blogging For Books in exchange for an honest review. I really really really really enjoyed this book, it was something I hadn't heard of before and I'm so ecstatic that I did because it turned out to be a pretty awesome book. I am going to break this review down and explain in detail what I loved about it and the thing that made me give it four cupcakes instead of five.

The Cover
I am such an idiot, it took me forever to realise that the item on the book is a razor and the words are actually written in blood. It had to be pointed out to me by one of my friends. I'm sorry, I'm dull but after taking a really close look and getting more into the story, I realised how much the cover really related to the content of the book and it made me so happy , not only because it was pretty but because a lot of times books just have pretty girls on the cover with words and that just doesn't clue me in as to what the hell the book is about.

The Third Person Omnicient POV
I have a mental pros and cons list with the POV in this story. On one hand, you get to see within each of the four main characters' minds and get a feel of their problems and what their world is like. On the other hand however, it was difficult to jump from one character to the next mainly because of the vast age difference between the characters. Patrick and Caro were in their late twenties while the other two characters, sisters Layla and Verna were teenagers. I just found it weird to one minute be reading about sex and work and adult struggles like paying bills and the next minute to be hearing about bullies and biology. I'm not really sure if this book is considered an adult book because of the large percentage of the book that was dominated by teenage influence. I still liked the POV though I must say that I preferred reading about Layla and Verna just because the language used to describe them was subtly different and more relatable. I also really loved how the characters stories kind of intermingled with each other, especially coming down to the end of the book. It was so exciting and I think that that of the POV was well done.


The Character Development
The character development in Save Yourself was flawless. You got to know the characters so well and you honestly felt like you were a part of them like everything that they did personally affected your life. They each had their own standout personalities and I just thought it was lovely.

Patrick Cusimano is known as the man whose father killed a child while driving drunk and he turned him in but not for 19 hours. He and his brother are hated and blamed for the child's death by the whole town. He is a recluse and basically lives inside of himself, he's quiet and has to deal with his bad job, a goth girl that keeps showing up in his life and oh, also, he slept with his brother's girlfriend who he is inevitably falling in love with.

Caro is Patrick's brother's girlfriend. At almost thirty, she is running from her past, from the countless towns that she's lived in and the men that she's been with. She wants a fresh and perfect start and she thought she had it until she make an apocalyptic mistake with her boyfriend's brother and now she has to deal with her feelings for him and also her feelings of not belonging.

Layla Elshere was the perfect poster Christian child that is, until she spilled a secret that made everyone at school hate her. Now, after a complete transformation, she is better, or maybe not. I can't give away too much about this character, it's a surprise.

Verna Elshere is Layla's younger sister and her parents' new favourite. She feels pressured into being absolutely perfect and as a result is shown the same alienation as her sister which pushes her to become just like her.

I loved the characters in the book, particularly Layla. I found them so interesting and I could not get enough of them.


Premise and Climax
The plot of this book, to some, might seem really depressing and unforgiving but I loved it. It was sad but it was also addictive like I needed to know more about the characters and everything that was happening in the book. The issues and emotions felt real and raw and I could not stop thinking about this book after I finished it. The climax was...AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! It was unexpected, thrilling and kind of crazy quite frankly. I was on the edge of my seat, reading like flash, I just could not put it down coming down to the last 50 pages or so, it was impossible. The ending, oh my goodness, the ending! I don't know how to feel, my mind was blown and I could not with the feels!


Pacing of the Story
I found the beginning of the book to be rather slow-paced and difficult to get into. I literally started this book in August and finished today. It was just difficult. I don't know if it was the style of writing but I was not mentally prepared. It picked up a lot further along in the book but be warned if you read this of its slowness. It had that kind of contemporary, snail-like pace to it at the beginning.


For the reasons listed above, I decided to go ahead and give this book 4 cupcakes because I loved it, I thought it was good but not perfect. Still worth a shot, though, I feel like it needs to be more known so let's tell people about it! I hope that you liked reading my review of this book and until my next post, I love you guys...to infinity and beyond!



Final Sentence of the Book
He said, "Well, I'm trying," and put him arm around her.


Read if you enjoy...

Contemporary~Serious Issues~Thrillers



Follow my blog with Bloglovin