Barblog

Image Map

Monday, 29 September 2014

Making Up For Monday #6: The Perfect Novel


Hosted by An Avid Reader, A Wannabe Writer.
Description: Each week I will have a book-related theme or game, or something fun to do that week. And you can play along! All you have to do is find the question for that week, go to your own blog, write a post that day based on that question, and link your post to this one using the link up tool at the bottom of the post.

This week's question: If you could or are writing a book, what would you want it to be about?

UGHH! This question was literally the hardest thing ever because I've thought long and hard on this. I definitely want to be an author. Growing up, I've always been told that my essays for English were "beautiful", "perfect" or "touching" and I would really like people to read my words but the hardest thing is thinking of plots and ideas to write because everything, literally everything, has been done before and I don't want to be a writer that just re-uses old and worn out ideas. I want my work to be unique so if I had to write a novel, it will definitely be in the Young Adult genre, obviously and may be sci-fi because I'm not a huge contemporary lover. No love triangle because they are so predictable and sicken me. Maybe, I'll invent a new race/species of people because the whole "vampire-witch-werewolf-fairy thing" is overrated. I don't know, maybe I'll go a different direction and have an alternate universe, where we humans, are no longer the apex predators or maybe a story about someone who dies, talking about the "afterlife".

The point is, I have no clue what my novel will be about because I feel like authors get inspiration from their lives and the world around them and I have yet to really experience all of life in its magnificence. I am only 15, soon to be 16 (on Wednesday, WOOT WOOT!) and I feel like inspiration has yet to form into a solid, usable idea. I have a ton of random thoughts about the premise of a novel swirling in my mind but none are really focused and definite at the moment.

What about you guys? What would your novel be about? Zombies? Love? Comment down below and tell me! Until my next post, I love you guys to...infinity and beyond!

6 comments:

  1. You are right, everything has already been done, and it's so difficult to come up with a new idea. However, I start with the premises that we are all unique, so even if you write on the same topic that someone else has, you will not write in the same way. It will be better or worse, but it will be different!

    I like this game - I think I'll play along! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my novel would be about this girl who gets her mind wiped and.... :p

    Anka's right. It may have all been done before, but nobody will do it like you. Personally, I think the characters are what make a story unique (says the author that writes character-driven stories). You have your own voice-- that's what's coming through in those essays that people love. You should start writing something just for you, just for fun. Don't worry if it's been done. It takes time to develop the story skills, and I think that only happens through the act of writing. You will definitely get there one day, Laquesha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am running the Book Blog awards this year and wanted to let you know nominations have been extended and are now open until october 12th. There are 13 awards up for grabs. You may nominate your own blog or ask your readers to nominate you. Readers vote on November 15th.

    Please leave a comment on my blog or tweet me @emancipatedmimi to get the badge to add to your site. You may use it to encourage your readers to vote for your blog on Nov 15th. The awards are intended to be fun and exciting, and get your blog some exposure as well. Hope you will join =) I'm usually on twitter so tweet me anytime with questions or comments =)
    official announcement video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA0Utyx6hMI
    NOMINATE here: http://docs.google.com/forms/d/1LJfSPMYlHSND3LZAypVoNak-nt67jeW5UHfjU6_GyHo/viewform
    VOTE HERE on Nov 15: http://docs.google.com/forms/d/1jAz1fJ-30YuNZvijMm0JN6rxj_yhjSU7rVqSIZFlOtI/viewform?edit_requested=true

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think :)