Barblog

Image Map

Monday, 18 August 2014

Making Up For Monday #1: My Thoughts on Negative Reviews


Hosted by An Avid Reader, A Wannabe Writer.
Description: Each week I will have a book-related theme or game, or something fun to do that week. And you can play along! All you have to do is find the question for that week, go to your own blog, write a post that day based on that question, and link your post to this one using the link up tool at the bottom of the post.

This week's question: How do you feel about giving negative review?

This is kind of a tough question for me because on one hand, I absolutely hate giving them but on the other hand, if I didn't give them, I wouldn't be an honest reviewer and you wouldn't be able to trust my opinion when reading my reviews. It's always really difficult for me to rate a book under three cupcakes because obviously some authors spent countless months, sometimes years writing their novels and not only is there a possibility that they could be reading my non-complimentary words but in writing something not-too-approving about the novel, I could be dissuading some of you from reading the book. That is a power that bloggers/reviewers don't often realise that they have: the ability to affect the book choices that our readers make.

While I do not enjoy giving books negative reviews, I feel like it is a task that is absolutely necessary. I am extremely honest about my thoughts, sometimes not kindly so. I don't give books higher ratings because they were sent to me for review. If I love an author's book, I will promote it to the world but if I don't, I will be as frank as possible. I will finish the book because I do not like to stop reading a book halfway through, I will review it and I will try as hard as possible to find some positive in the midst of all the negatives that I read. Maybe I hated the plot of the story but I liked the cover and the main character so I will mention both of those things, along with the bad thing so that I'm not just stuffing a totally negative, repelling review down my readers' throat but I'm actually highlighting the good and the bad of the book. Honestly, I have yet to read a book that is completely negative with nothing good about it and for that, I am completely grateful.

What are your thoughts on giving bad reviews? Are you apathetic or do you feel a bit guilty giving them? Comment down below and share your thoughts with me.




4 comments:

  1. I agree with you! I hate writing bad reviews, but I just can't say that I like something if I don't like it-.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's kind of impossible for me to be dishonest about my thoughts on books. :)

      Delete
    2. I think you're right, Laquesha. You have to be honest. I review Indie books on Rock the Book, and I have found it very difficult in the case where I did not like a book. I too, try to highlight the good and state the bad constructively. If a review is going to be totally negative, I write to the author and let them know I'm going to pass. I really don't think I was cut out to be a reviewer, because I have very high standards! However, I have read a few excellent books, and I love getting to rave about them when they're good, and helping to promote other authors who have worked very hard, and their work shows it.

      As an author, I truly appreciate reviewers who are totally truthful. While I think it is important to stay constructive in a negative review, sometimes things need to be said. Constructive criticism can help an author to improve. Also, when you are an honest reviewer, I think your audience trusts you so much more. They know you are not going to give your stamp of approval to just anything. So when you say you like my book, I personally feel like it is genuine, which I truly appreciate. And I know that people are going to listen to you, because you are *real*.

      Delete
    3. I couldn't agree more, you took the words right out of my head. :D

      Delete

I'd love to know what you think :)