Barblog

Image Map

Saturday, 16 August 2014

Review: Chasing Freedom by Nicola S. Dorrington (West Haven #1)

bookreview Rating:image descriptionimage descriptionimage description
Title:Chasing Freedom
Author:Nicola S. Dorrington
Publisher:Self-published
Publication Date:June 15th 2014
Source:The Author
Format:ebook
Pages:265

Goodreads-Amazon

Chase Finn is being hunted, and if he ever stops running he’s going to end up dead.

It doesn’t matter that he’s only seventeen. It doesn’t matter that just a few weeks ago he was a normal teenager. All that matters is that he is a threat, and the Agents tracking him will stop at nothing to see him neutralised.

With the line between friends and enemies blurring, Chase discovers he is just a pawn in the middle of a war that’s lasted for centuries, but he isn’t going to let himself be used any longer.

Soon both sides of the war are going to learn that the most important thing about Chase Finn isn’t that he’s a werewolf, it’s that he’ll sacrifice everything, even his own freedom, for the people he loves.

Review
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. I really enjoyed reading this book but I had a few problems with it and so I will try to explain both the good and the bad sides. This book was extremely fast-paced and most of the time, it was a good thing but sometimes I felt like certain important aspects of the story were rushed. I didn't really connect with any of the characters, I don't know why, I just couldn't. This book is set in England and I felt like the culture and the scenery were so beautifully described, it made me feel like I was there.

This book had action around every corner, the characters were always moving and going somewhere and that made it a very easy and quick read. However, I felt that at some points it was a bit too quick and left little room for character development and plot development. The actual climatic events and the story in general were phenomenal but I just thought that it could've used a little bit more description. Chasing Freedom was only around 260 pages long and everything just seemed to be crammed into them.

The only characters that I really connected with and felt something for were Chase and Maladict who were so amazing and badass by the way. The others kind of just faded into the background for me. I didn't think I knew enough about them to have an opinion. They were kind of just there and even the romance between Chase and Victoria, which I was rooting for, just didn't really go anywhere and was just there.

I love England! Anyone who knows me, know this. I've never been to England, nope I haven't but I will someday. Anything British excites me and when I found out that this book was based in England, I was so happy! I was not disappointed because the setting was perfectly described and I literally felt like I was in England with the characters, fighting their battles and experiencing everything they were going through. I appreciate books that fully describe setting because most of the time, it's not the main focus and it kind of gets pushed to the side but I think that the setting description in Chasing Freedom was vivid and added a lot to the actual story.

Chasing Freedom was a good read despite the problems that I had with it. I would recommend it to all the lovers of Paranormal out there because it's definitely worth checking out. For all the reasons I have listed above, I've decided to go ahead and give this book three cupcakes because it really was an enjoyable read.



Final Sentence of the Book

"As lots of people are learning-I always pay my debts." - Chase Finn

Read if you enjoy...

Supernatural books~British people~cute protagonists


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. It's really hard to enjoy the story when you don't connect with characters. I deal with that a lot and it's really hard to review those books as well. You did a really good job though. I also like how this sounds and I love action packed books, but yeah we also need to stop for a minute sometimes. Great review, Laquesha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review! Very glad that you thought Chase and Maladict were badass even if you didn't connect so much with the other characters! You'll have to check out Maladict's 'prequel' novella coming out sometime in the fall!

    Thanks again for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sure to check it out! So pumped to read the Last Knight!

      Delete

I'd love to know what you think :)