Barblog

Image Map

Friday, 25 July 2014

Review: The Selection by Kiera Cass (The Selection Trilogy #1)

bookreview Rating:image descriptionimage descriptionimage description
Title:The Selection
Author:Kiera Cass
Publisher:HarperTeen
Publication Date:April 24th 2012
Source:Personal Buy
Format:Paperback
Pages:336

Goodreads-Amazon

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

Review
This book definitely did not live up to my expectations. I gave it three cupcakes so obviously I enjoyed it a little but not as much I was hoping to enjoy it. That being stated, I sectioned off this review into different sections to help me distinctly justify my reasons for saying that because I know that a lot of people really like this trilogy but I cannot truthfully say that I am huge fan of this book, sadly. Let's start from the outside of the book and work our way into the inside.

Cover
I loved the cover of this book, as I do with most books that have gorgeous girls in beautiful dresses on the cover. It wasn't just the girl though. It was the fact that it perfectly described what the story was about, gave the reader an exact idea of what they would be getting themselves into. I, personally, get so annoyed when the covers of books tell you absolutely nothing about the literature inside. I am completely baffled as to why publishers pick covers that in no way relate to the premise of the books. Why?

Synopsis
The synopsis of this book could go and die in a hole for all I care because it did nothing for me. It, unfortunately did not compel me to read this book because it was so boring and cliche and immediately hinted at the the fact that there was going to be a love triangle. Why would you do that? I wanted to figure that out for myself, thank you very much. It was poorly written and...no, I could not.

Protagonist
America Singer,apart from being the second person I have heard using with her first name, also took the cake for being the most boring protagonist ever. She was not funny, she was not badass, she was not the silent killer type. She was just America and America kind of either put me to sleep most of the time or annoyed the hell out of me. I feel as if every good YA chracter should have a niche, something, anything that makes them unique and I truly believe that America has two: her uncanny ability to be oblivious even in the most obvious situations and her disposition to make absolutely dreadful decisions that inevitably causes everyone around her to hate her or be jealous. I mean, it's time for you to wake up and smell the coffee, America, you are never being released from this contest and Maxon likes you, stop pretending like it's not true! As a result of this, no attachment grew between me and this character; she was kind of flat most of the time and not an ideal female lead.

The Premise and Plot of the Book
The world that was described in this book was intriguing and I immediately became enveloped in this world. Honestly, whether it is a TV show or a book/comic, I enjoy anything that involves kingdoms and castles. I'm a sucker for those types of things and for that reason, I devoured this book. However, I found the actual plot of the book to be immensely irritating. It was so predictable, nothing surprised me and I did not feel like any real conflict existed. There were attacks and such but it was not major and that kind of sucked the life out of the book. This idea could have been developed so well and could have been really epic but it was played safe and lacked for me. There was not much of a story because again, I knew everything that was going to happen and I wasn't even spoiled, everything was obvious to everyone except America.

The Love Triangle
The love triangle of this book was sub-par and unbalanced, I was not a fan. First of all, I felt like we barely got to know Aspen, he was hardly in the book. The character development in this book sucked but Aspen's was the worst of all. We knew what we knew about him through America and that was very little because she was trying to get over him. By the time he started to appear more, the readers would have already gained a lot of attachment to Maxon and that's unfair. The romance in this book was flimsy and unrealistic. America was calm having to share Maxon with twenty-something other girls, though a bit jealous, she handled it well and trust me, no woman does that. Everything between Maxon and America seemed awkward and mechanical and I could not. I could not with the romance, I could not with the love triangle, I could not with Aspen and Maxon, I just could not.

Now, you all are probably wondering why I rated this book three cupcakes if I had so many problems with it. That is because, despite all the horrible things I think about the book, it was a guilty pleasure read. I flew threw it and loved the kind of Gossip Girl feel that it possessed and even though I hated many, many things about the book, I enjoyed reading it and am looking forward to picking up the second novel in the trilogy even though I can probably just guess what's going to happen.


Final Sentence of the Book

I pulled back the covers and leaped into the morning.

Read if you enjoy...

Contemporary~Love

Similar Books

I'm actually for the first time going to compare a book to a TV show and that TV show is Gossip Girl. It just gave me them Gossip Girl feels.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. I've heard good and bad things about this book. I have a feeling I'll probably be more in the "meh" camp, when I do actually get around to reading it. (If I ever do.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book was definitely "meh" but it was kind of addictive "meh", like it was terrible but you wanted to read it, if that makes sense.

      Delete

I'd love to know what you think :)