Barblog

Image Map

Monday, 14 July 2014

BookTube-A-Thon Day 1 Update + Top 3 Books I Read Because of BookTube

Hey guys! So, this post is going to kind of be a quickie so forgive if there are any errors in it. It is two parts: one part Booktube-A-Thon update and one part post challenge. I'm sorry if this seems kind of rushed. I am trying to balance reading with writing this blog post and another one that I hope to put up today. Without further adieu, let's just jump right into this.

BookTube-A-Thon Update Day 1
I'm actually really happy today because I managed to finish one of the books on my TBR list for this readathon and that book is Dork Diaries by Rachel Renee Russell. I completed it this morning and what can I say? I rated it 3 cupcakes. I liked it as much as I thought I was going to, which, to be honest, wasn't a lot. It was a fast read but it was also quite childish for me and I found the repetition of some phrases such as "But I said it in my head so no one heard me" to be extremely annoying. I thought that the illustrations in the book were really well done though and I quite enjoyed them. I think that the book served its purpose which was to be a quick read, one that I would fly through so I would have time for the other books on my TBR so I can't complain.

After finishing that book, I immediately picked up Silas Marner by George Eliot which is the book I chose for my genre I've read the least of/ book with red on the cover challenge and it's kind of MEH so far. I'm only about 32 pages in and it's just really slow and some of the sentences in the book, most of them, actually, are really long and draggy so I find myself having to re-read them a lot to decipher their meanings. I really hope that it gets better because I don't want to hate the first classic that I'm reading purely for leisure. I'm planning to finish up this one today, hopefully! *fingers crossed*


Top 3 Books Booktube Made Me Read
I don't know if I've ever mentioned it to you guys but I love BookTube and if I'm sad, watching booktubers is always a surefire way to make me feel better. I love blogs about books, I love channels about books and I just, I love me some books. So, it's no surprise that having watched BookTube videos for years now,I have discovered a few of my favourite books through this medium and I just thought I would share them with you as the challenge post for today.

3)The Divergent Trilogy by Veronica Roth
I love the Divergent trilogy, like love, particularly the second book Insurgent which was my favourite but just the entirety of the trilogy is really awesome. Before booktube, I didn't even know that these books existed until I heard a few booktubers talking about how amazing it was and I was like "A great book? What is this you speak of?" and I bought it, read it and loved it. Story of my life. The plot is really fast-paced, the characters are entertaining and it's beautifully written so all credits to the BookTube community for introducing me to this lovely trilogy.

2)Legend by Marie Lu (Legend #1)
I cannot talk enough about this book, I can't, I love it. Sadly, I haven't gotten around to picking up the rest of the trilogy yet but...I will and I will love those other books, I will love them with all my heart because that's what I do! At first glance, it doesn't seem like something I personally would enjoy but BookTube just made me buy it, I had to, it was talked about so much and I had to! It's filled with political wars and crime and I could not get enough of the dual perspective and the yellow font! I usually HATE dual perspectives but...I loved this one and that says something about how wonderfully it's done.

1)Looking For Alaska, Paper Towns and The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
I am obsessed with John Green, I don't know if you can tell but he is one of my favourite authors and YouTubers. For a really long period of time I used to watch his YouTube videos without actually knowing that he was an author. Yes, I know, I'm dumb. But I did. He was just the funniest person and had the most complex personality and I loved it! I found out that he was an author, not through him, but through BookTube and I was so excited and I read his most popular book at the time, the Fault in Our Stars and I could not get enough of his writing. It's phenomenal how he transfers his personality and his quirks into the pages of his novels and I love it. Thank you, BookTube.

I hope that you enjoyed reading today's post as much as I enjoyed writing it. This BookTube-A-Thon is just really exciting and I'm looking forward to updating you guys more on it. I'm curious though, do any of you have a shameless obsession with BookTube and John Green videos? Let me know in the comment section below...and I will talk to you guys later. Or, later today as I have another post planned!

Toodle-ooo,
Laquesha <3


2 comments:

  1. I hope your progress is better than mine. Somehow I’m not as motivated as I was at the previous BookTubeAThon. :(

    I heard from a few people that Silas Marner is not exactly George Eliot’s most enjoyable work, but I’m not the right person to judge as I haven’t read anything by her yet. I hope the book doesn’t slow you down too much! :)
    The books you mentioned for the challenge are definitely ones that I bought because of BookTube as well (plus, with John’s books, I was also intrigued because of vlogbrothers).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My progress kind of sucks right now, actually. Idk, I'm feeling kind of demotivated to read right now. :(

      It was soooooooooooooo boring! I did not understand the purpose of even publishing that book. I could not.
      :D

      Delete

I'd love to know what you think :)