Barblog

Image Map

Friday, 20 June 2014

Why I Read?

Hey, lovelies. Please ignore the awkward, weird design of my blog right now and the even more awkward editing changes that will be going on in the next few weeks as I play around with my design "skills". Today, I thought that we could get to know each other on a little bit of a deeper level because it's important that we feel each other, you know? Like I need to know you and you need to know me. That way we can establish this unbreakable human-bond-relationship-thing and it'll be cool and...not strange at all (totally strange :P). Also, I know that I haven't been posting as frequently as I promised I would, that is due to the fact that I have been in exams for the past two weeks and I've barely had time to breathe, let alone, post on my blog. But don't worry, I have some TOTALLY exciting posts planned for the future, some review-y-type-things (including a Review of the Fifty Shades of Grey Trilogy *wink wink*) and other exhilarating madness. But for now, let us discuss the various and multi-faceted reasons as to why I read because truth to be told, I don't just do it because it's fun. And I hope you don't judge me for some of the reasons, I hope that you can relate to them.

Sometimes, I'm not the happiest person in life and I feel the normal teenage emotional package (not thinking I'm pretty enough, thinking everyone hates me etc. etc.) and it's nice to read books and feel related to 'cause trust me all YA Female protagonists are experiencing those insecurities that all the rest of us teenage girls are suffering with. My emotions are always all over the place and I never know if today's the day that I'm going to feel happy or sad or frustrated. I never know if today's the day that I'm going to love my friends and school or if it's the day that I'm just going to feel betrayed by them and hate everything. But I do know that today's the day that I'm going to read a book and learn about a character, maybe multiple who are just like me. They have friend problems and school problems and every problem but they're just like me and it gives me comfort because I know that when I cannot count on people for various reasons in real life, I can definitely count on the characters in my various book lives. It's immensely satisfying.

I am an extremely shy person. Well, not so much shy as undiscovered. I do not yet think that I have developed a sense of who I am. I know who I am, for the most part; my name, my age, my gender and various likes and dislikes that I have acquired throughout the years. I am socially awkward, I experience a gripping sense of anxiety when I'm surrounded by a group because I feel overshadowed by the personalities of others. But I don't FEEL like that is who I am. It's weird but inside of me, there's just this strong, outspoken, confident girl just wishing to be set free...and I don't know how to go about doing that. And that's where this love for reading comes in. When I read books that contain extraordinarily courageous main characters, I automatically feel...empowered, like I can do anything, be anything. When I read, this confident person who ultimately is myself shows her face more and more. I want to talk more, laugh louder and my normally fragile emotions are sealed behind an unbreakable safe. More so, recently since I've made a very conscious decision to be...happier, weed out the negatives and just be me. I may not be what you like but I like me.

I want, hope, wish, in the future, to become a writer and reading helps me not only to improve my vocabulary and writing skills but it also makes me aware of the different writing techniques that exist, ones that I like, ones that I do not like. It's kind of an exploration of my talent through the talents of others, if that makes sense. Reading has made me a better writer because reading gives writers an edge. Obviously, you're not going to write in a way that irritates you and others. It helps you to better you're writing based on the opinions of others on a particular book.

I think the final and most important reason why I read is the fact that it is a very life-fulfilling hobby. George R.R Martin wrote "A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.” and he was absolutely right. People who don't read for whatever ludicrous reason they conjure up are missing the adventures; they're missing the worlds that can be experienced, the alternate worlds. I've been a wizard, a vampire, a werewolf, human, fairy, shadowhunter and so much more and they've been...them. I've fallen in love with characters, fallen out-of-love with characters and they've been them. I think reading is extraordinary and once it is within my capacity , I will continue to move onto the next great book for as long as I can.

So...I hope you guys enjoyed my rambling about my passion for reading and I hope that it gave you a deeper understanding of who I am as a person and as a reader and feel free to comment on this post and tell me why you, yourselves, find joy in reading.

Toodle-ooo,
Laquesha xoxo <3


2 comments:

  1. Hi Laquesha! What a beautiful ramble about reading. I can tell you *are* going to be a writer. Loved this: "I am an extremely shy person. Well, not so much shy as undiscovered."" I think many of us feel that way. I really connected with a lot of your points, and found myself thinking-- that's not just why I read, but why I write. I am shy also, and writing books is a way of connecting with people. I can say a million things through my writing that I would never say out loud. Reading/writing is ultimately a way for people to connect on a deep level. I have had a rare experience before where I read a book and I kept thinking "This author and I would be very good friends if we knew each other". Not just that I liked the book, but I really felt like I knew the person who wrote it.

    And yeah. Like a million lives to live out there, and most of them a lot more exciting than like... going to my day job. :p

    Found your blog through Goodreads. Following.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thank you so much! That's so sweet. I also experience that feeling of thinking that my favourite authors would be my best friends. I thought it was just me! Thanks for following and taking the time to read my nonsensical ramble. <3

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think :)