Barblog

Image Map

Sunday, 6 April 2014

Review: Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier (The Ruby Red Trilogy #1)

bookreview Rating:image descriptionimage descriptionimage descriptionimage description
Title:Ruby Red
Author:Kerstin Gier
Publisher:Square Fish
Publication Date:November 16th 2010
Source:Personal Buy
Format:Paperback
Pages:322

Goodreads|Amazon|Barnes and Noble|Indigo>


Although I had never seen him before, I recognized him immediately. I'd have known his voice anywhere. This was the guy I'd seen on my last journey back in time.

Or more precisely, the one who'd kissed my doppelganger while I was hiding behind the curtain in disbelief.


Sixteen-year-old Gwen lives with her extended - and rather eccentric - family in an exclusive London neighborhood. In spite of her ancestors' peculiar history, she's had a relatively normal life so far. The time-traveling gene that runs like a secret thread through the female half of the family is supposed to have skipped over Gwen, so she hasn't been introduced to "the mysteries," and can spend her time hanging out with her best friend, Lesly. It comes as an unwelcome surprise when she starts taking sudden, uncontrolled leaps into the past.

She's totally unprepared for time travel, not to mention all that comes with it: fancy clothes, archaic manners, a mysterious secret society, and Gideon, her time-traveling counterpart. He's obnoxious, a know-it-all, and possibly the best-looking guy she's seen in any centrury . . .

Review

I've never read a time travelling book before reading this one and I have to say, it was refreshing and extremely enjoyable. It was fast-paced and spontaneous. The characters were cute. And the past-present-future-noble-people references were interesting.

I feel as if I zipped through this novel. It was easy to read, there really were not many dull moments. I think because of the whole time travelling aspect, the constant travelling and moving, this read seemed quicker than most. I felt as if I just picked it up unread, and put it down ten seconds later completed.

I absolutely ADORED the characters in this novel! They were so adorable and just lovely AND British! Who doesn't love British people? I could literally hear the accents while I was reading. I thought it was kind of cool that you really don't know that much about the characters in the beginning but as the novel progresses, their past and their personality becomes somewhat of a mystery that begins unraveling with the turn of each page. All of the characters, in my opinion, well, all the main ones, were really well-developed and relatable and how could you not love them?

I could not keep myself from smiling every time a reference was made toward some past iconic figure. I thought that it was cool that famous scientists and people that I knew (well, not personally, obviously) were supposedly involved in this whole messed up time-travelling business. It kept me involved and half the times made me laugh. I know that this is fiction and that it's not true but it made me wonder...What if?

I honestly enjoyed reading this book but I didn't completely love it. Something about it just...idk, it wasn't perfect. Maybe it was the writing style, I'm not sure but I just know that it didn't totally captivate me in the way I think 5-cupcake books should so...I gave it 4 cupcakes :)

Final Sentence of the Book

"Ready when you are."

Read if you enjoy...

Fantasy~Time Travel~Love~Cute Characters

Similar Books

raecarsonsapphirebluekerstingier"

~Much Love,
Laquesha <3

2 comments:

  1. sounds nice the book. i'll try it. :) besides that cover is B-E-A-UTIFUL

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a really good book! If you think that cover's pretty, you should see the hardcover version, it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think :)