Barblog

Image Map

Tuesday, 8 April 2014

Review: The Here and Now by Ann Brashares

bookreview Rating:image descriptionimage descriptionimage description
Title:The Here and Now
Author:Ann Brashares
Publisher:Delacorte Press
Publication Date:April 8th 2014
Source:Netgalley
Format:eGalley/ARC
Pages:288

Goodreads|Amazon|Barnes and Noble|Indigo>


Follow the rules. Remember what happened. Never fall in love.

This is the story of seventeen-year-old Prenna James, who immigrated to New York when she was twelve. Except Prenna didn’t come from a different country. She came from a different time—a future where a mosquito-borne illness has mutated into a pandemic, killing millions and leaving the world in ruins.

Prenna and the others who escaped to the present day must follow a strict set of rules: never reveal where they’re from, never interfere with history, and never, ever be intimate with anyone outside their community. Prenna does as she’s told, believing she can help prevent the plague that will one day ravage the earth.

But everything changes when Prenna falls for Ethan Jarves.


Review
What did I think of this book? I, honestly, thought it was a good book, it could have been better but it was a nice, solid read. The writing style was absolutely beautiful and poetic. The premise of the book was intriguing, I've never read anything like it before. The first, let's say, three-quarters or so of this book was amazing but after that...idk...I was confused and everything felt a bit much. The ending was mediocre, it could have been done so much better. Also, Ethan and Prenna's "relationship" seemed a bit rushed, there wasn't much development but I think that their interactions with each other were cute.

Before reading this, I had never read anything by Ann Brashares before and I am completely IN LOVE with her beautiful writing style. She just , well for this novel at least, writes the most vivid and poetic descriptions, they were lovely. I read this as an egalley and have literally over 40 sentences highlighted (the ones that stuck with me). There were just so many romantic, passionate metaphors, similes and symbols that made my heart melt and made me want to read on because I'm a girl and I like to feel girly emotions.

I feel like I've been getting into reading a lot of time-travelling books recently and I must say, the plot of this particular novel was superb. It was original and creative and made me want to read it. It was different than anything I've ever read. You know, usually with time-travelling books, the main character randomly time-travels all over the place which makes it hard to be with her one true love. In this book, the main character comes from the past and it's difficult to be with her love because she CAN kill him! I thought that was super cool!

The first parts of this book had me going "Yes, yes! New favourite book!! I'm down for this! I am with this!" and then coming down to the end, I was just like "Oh, okay, so that happens. What?". I was sooooooooooooooooooo confused about the "climax", I didn't know what the hell was going on, my mind was like on a roller coaster and I couldn't focus on the details! My head was spinning and I didn't understand anything. I think the climatic part of the book was the least exciting, honestly, it just didn't grab me and there was just too much jazz going on. I just, I don't...I can't! I can't!

The ending of this novel sucked, it really did. It left so many questions unanswered. Like, what happened to Prenna and Ethan? Will the ever end up together? What about the plague? Did they figure it out? What's with the crappy beach-ish scene with Katherine (who isn't even that important) at the end? I thought it could have been done so much better. I was really enjoying this and thought that it should have ended with a bang! I think there should be a sequel because that ending was not good enough for me. IT DIDN'T FEED MY HUNGER!! RAWR!

Anyways, my lovelies. I did, in fact, enjoy this book, mostly the first three quarters of it and I think that you guys would too. Maybe you won't have the same problems with it that I did. Overall, it was a good book with some minor issues. So, I gave it three cupcakes.


Final Sentence of the Book
Because who knows what happens next?

Read if you enjoy...
Love~Romance~Time Travelling


Similar Books
ruby redmitchalbom

Toodle-oooo
~Laquesha <3