Barblog

Image Map

Saturday, 29 March 2014

Night Star by Alyson Noel (The Immortals #5)

bookreview Rating:image descriptionimage description
Title: Night Star
Author:Alyson Noel
Publisher:St Martin's Griffin
Publication Date:November 16th 2010
Source:Personal Buy
Format:Paperback Pages:302

Goodreads|Amazon|Barnes and Noble|Indigo>



Haven still blames Ever for the death of her boyfriend Roman, no matter how hard Ever’s tried to convince her it was an accident. Now she’s determined to take Ever down…and destroy Damen and Jude along the way. Her first step is to tear Ever and Damen apart—and she has just the ammunition to do it.

Hidden in one of Ever’s past lives is a terrible secret about Damen—a secret that illuminates new facts about her relationship with Jude, but that’s so dark and brutal it might be enough to drive her and Damen apart once and for all. As Ever faces her greatest fears about the guy she wants to spend eternity with, she’s thrust into a deadly clash with Haven that could destroy them all.

Now it’ll take everything she’s got—and bring out powers she never knew she had—to face down her most formidable enemy. But in order to win, she must first ask herself: is her own survival worth dooming Haven to an eternity of darkness in the Shadowland? And will learning the truth about Damen’s past hold the key to their future?




Review

This novel was not my favourite of the Immortals series by Alyson Noel, I thought it was just okay. I feel as if it was exactly the same as Dark Flame; same problems, same enemies, nothing was different! It was soooooooo slow-paced. And I've never noticed before how devastating annoying some of the characters are.

I was super excited to get my hands on this novel after reading Dark Flame because the ending was amazing and really just had me in desperate need of more Alyson Noel. I was eager to see the new turn the series was going to take now that Ever and Damen's only lead for the cure had been pacified. I was looking forward to some crazy new adventures, with badass characters, anything to add a bit of spark to the rest of the series...but that didn't happen. Imagine my surprise when I was reading this and it sounded exactly like the previous book, with no major changes and WAY less interesting. It was just pages upon useless pages of cure-searching and repeating the same things about energy that we already know from the past FOUR books.

Night Star is exactly 302 pages long and it took me almost three weeks to muster the will power to finish it. The pacing of it was just really slow and the plot and writing were dull and boring, rendering it unable to grasp my intrigue for a very long period of time. I have a problem with repetitiveness and that's basically what this book was, a continuation of a series that should have ended at the last book.

Throughout reading this series, I have gathered no real attachments to any of the characters and after finishing this book, whatever attachments I had with them have been severed. I'm kind of indifferent to all of them. This novel emphasized a few things that I might have been in denial of before. The main character, Ever, is beyond words annoying. How is she even the main character? She's quite stupid and throughout the book kind of maintained the higher-than-thou attitude and it pissed me off. Furthermore, the "relationship"/"love triangle" in this book was really unbelievable and not well done. I've seen some love triangles that make me want to cut someone *cough* Delena/Stelena *cough* but this takes the cake. It's not a problem of indecision but of...idk, her bond with Jude and Damen just doesn't seem real. As a matter of fact, the only character that I really enjoyed in this book was Miles and he's more a minor one, really.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate this series, I actually love it but...I didn't love this book, in particular. I think it could've been done better. I am still going to read the final book, Everlasting, and I'm crossing my fingers in the hope that I will enjoy it


Final Sentence of the Book

"For now let's just be grateful for this"


Read if you enjoy...

Love ~ Short Books ~ Almost-supernatural books

Similar Books
evermoretwilight