Barblog

Image Map

Saturday, 8 February 2014

Legend by Marie Lu (Legend #1)

image description


What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.



Initial Thoughts

Meme
the
Day AND June!? Dune!! THAT COULD BE THEIR CUTE COUPLE NAME!!! Yep...that's totally their couple name!


I really liked this book, even after thinking that I wasn't going to. It started off extremely slow at first but picked up quickly at around 70 pages or so and from then onward, I really couldn't put it down. The characters were lovable, developed and NOT annoying at all. The romantic elements of the book were perfect and not overwhelming like I find the romance in most books. The plot was FANTASTIC and so original and cool and fabulous and basically, it was AMAZE-BALLS!

When I first picked up this book from my shelves and read about fifty pages in, I initially thought that this was going to be a sub-par read for me but...boy, was I wrong! The first few chapters, I think were really wordy and information-driven and I have a short attention span when it comes to books (explains why I haven't read the Lord of the Rings trilogy yet)so that was probably why I thought like that, at first. But, after that, it was like BAM! There was never a dull moment, action left and right, front and back, center and I'm going to stop now, you get the point :). It was sooooooooooooooooooooooo fast-paced,and such a quick read! I felt like I took a breathe and I was finished with the book, it didn't feel long at all.

I absolutely adored the characters in this book because they were relatable and actually intelligent. The character development was superb and Marie Lu did an amazing job of giving the backstories of the characters. I felt like I really knew them and could sympathize with all of them. Their was anger was my anger, their fear was my fear and I just LOVED them. June and Day and Tess and John and even, Metias who was only alive for a short period of time. They're all just so lovable!


The romance in this novel was cute and really enjoyable. It wasn't all-consuming and irritating as I find the romance in some books. It was...sweet and pure...and maybe, adorable that Day and June started to fall for each other without even knowing each other's names. They're so alike. I mean, to me, it's like, they're the same person, they think the same way and the only difference really is their economic backgrounds but I feel as if, that helps to pull them together. The romantic elements of this book were really nice! I'm rooting for Day and June! Dune forever!


Legend had an amazing plot and was written beautifully by the lovely Marie Lu. I loved the whole political aspect of the book, the fact that the United States of America really doesn't exist anymore. It kind of reminds me of Revolution, a little bit and I LOVE Revolution so...that's a pretty big compliment. It had a kind of survival-of-the-fittest edge to it and unfortunately for those people living in the Lake Sector, they're not the fittest or the richest. I was really captivated by the split point of views. I usually hate them because they confuse my simple mind (Third person for the win!) but this book was different. They actually added to the story, especially at that point in time in the novel when Day and June were together and she was hunting him but she didn't know that the boy she was falling for was the one who supposedly "killed" her brother. It was nice to get dual point of views in that situation and it made this book 10x better for me.


I really had a fun time reading this book, it was creative, cute and overall, FREAKIN' AWESOME! I loved it, I loved it, I loved it and would recommend it to anyone who likes Revolution and awesomeness and badass characters and not-so-sappy-but-cute romance. I absolutely cannot wait to get my hands on the second book, Prodigy which a lot of people say is even better than the first one (How is that even possible?!) On a scale of 1-5 cupcakes, it was:
image descriptionimage descriptionimage descriptionimage descriptionimage description