Barblog

Image Map

Sunday, 16 February 2014

Enclave by Ann Aguirre (Razorland #1) Review



image description


New York City has been decimated by war and plague, and most of civilization has migrated to underground enclaves, where life expectancy is no more than the early 20's. When Deuce turns 15, she takes on her role as a Huntress, and is paired with Fade, a teenage Hunter who lived Topside as a young boy. When she and Fade discover that the neighboring enclave has been decimated by the tunnel monsters - or Freaks - who seem to be growing more organized, the elders refuse to listen to warnings. And when Deuce and Fade are exiled from the enclave, the girl born in darkness must survive in daylight - guided by Fade's long-ago memories - in the ruins of a city whose population has dwindled to a few dangerous gangs. Ann Aguirre's thrilling young adult novel is the story of two young people in an apocalyptic world- - facing dangers, and feelings, unlike any they've ever known.


INITIAL THOUGHTS

I don't know about anyone else who's read this book but...I LOVE me some freaks. They're so COOL!! They're basically the Razorland trilogy equivalent of the Forsaken from the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare.

I really liked Enclave by Ann Aguirre for a variety of reasons. It was extremely fast-paced and action-packed. The world-building and the world itself was so entertaining and fascinating and mind-boggling! Three words, FADE AND DEUCE! Although I liked a lot of elements of this book, there was one thing that I really didn't like. I didn't really feel as if there was any real climax in this book or anything that felt particularly climatic.


When I bought this book, I didn't know it would be this SHORT AND SMALL! This novel was only 250 pages long, guys, that's barely a book in my opinion. But, in those few pages, Ann Aguirre was able to create and develop a fantastic story that had action left and right. The story was easy-flowing and fast-paced. I would read ten pages and WEEKS in the book would have gone by. Even though it was quickly paced, I didn't feel like I lost anything while reading, it had the perfect balance of action and world-building.


The dystopian world that lives inside of this book is unlike any other I've ever read and I read a LOT of dystopian books. It was so well-written and developed and it was kind of unbelievable and surreal that the Enclaves survive underground, basically in the sewerage systems of New York City, closed off from the above world. It was fun to identify common objects just by the author's description, kind of like a guessing game and I had to do it a lot because of the main character's lack of knowledge of the world above ground. I just thought the plot was original and fantastically written; it had loads and loads of vivid descriptions and it made me feel like I was a part of the book, like I was the person living underground, seeing the sun for the first time and killing Freaks.


The characters in Enclave (*cough,cough* Fade and Deuce) were such badasses!!! They were so fierce, skilled and brave, willing to jump into combat with the freaks, among other threats, anytime if it meant saving themselves and the ones they cared about. I felt as if even though they were strong and disciplined, I got to see really uniquely vulnerable sides of them, especially when they were around each other. The characters were really well-developed and lovable. I mean, I loved them, everyone's entitled to their own opinions.


I loved a lot of things about this book but I really was disappointed that there wasn't really any sort of super substantial climatic scene close to the end of the book. This novel was jam-packed with action, in almost every chapter, and it was amazing, don't get me wrong, but...I felt as if it needed something, anything more at the end to give it that OOMPH! It didn't really have a suspenseful cliffhanger, either.


Besides that, I basically loved it. It was fantastic, I can't wait to read the second book which better be amazing and not have Second-book-syndrome(because, seriously, it's contagious, I feel as if a lot of series get it). I would recommend this book to anyone that enjoys badass characters, zombies and post-apocalyptic/pre-apocalyptic awesomeness. The book was great and on a scale of 1-5 cupcakes, I gave it:
image descriptionimage descriptionimage descriptionimage description